Rosacea Awareness Month
April 27 2019
April is Rosacea Awareness Month. It’s designed to help educate and spread awareness to a common but poorly understood long-term skin condition that mainly affects your face.
What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a common skin condition that predominately affects fair skinned people, usually occurring on the face, but can also affect all skin types in people aged 40 to 60 years old.
It is more common in females but in males Rosacea tends to be more severe.
Rosacea is a chronic, inflammatory skin condition, it is often mistaken for acne, eczema or a skin allergy.
Rosacea tends to affect the cheeks, forehead, chin and nose, it is characterised by persistent redness which is caused by dilated blood vessels, flushing, small papules and pustules and skin tends to feel thickened.
There are four different subtypes of Rosacea and many sufferers experience more than one subtype at the same time.
- Facial Redness
- This is probably the most common characteristics of Rosacea. Symptoms include flushing and persistent facial redness. Blood vessels may become visible and in more severe cases stinging, burning, swelling and roughness of the skin may occur.
- Acne Rosacea
- This is where is acne rosacea is often mistaken and treated for acne which can aggravate the condition.The difference with Acne Rosacea is sufferers experience persistent flushing and redness as well small papules and pustules.
- Bulbous Nose
- Bulbous nose rosacea is one of the rarer subtype and affects males more than females. Here the nose is enlarged due to excess tissue and the thickening of the skin occurs.
- Red Eyes / Eye Irritation
- It is not widely known that rosacea can also affect your eyes. Common symptoms include watery or bloodshot eyes, irritation, burning sensation and swollen eyelids. Styes are also a common characteristic.
What causes Rosacea?
The actual cause of Rosacea is not fully known, although there are several factors that may be responsible for this skin condition.
- Blood Vessel abnormalities
- Skin peptides
- Microscopic mites
- Helicobacter pylori bacteria
There are also certain triggers that agitate the condition but are not thought to be a direct cause:
- Exposure to sunlight
- Hot and cold weather
- Spicy foods
- Hot baths
- Hot drinks
Unfortunately, there isn’t a cure for rosacea but there are products that can dramatically improve the condition.
Like many skin conditions, oral antibiotics and topics can be prescribed but this isn’t a long-term solution and like any antibiotics they can come with harsh side effects.
At Eterno Aesthetics we are proud to be a stockist of ZO Skin Health and for good reason. Their products offer solutions to many skin conditions and rosacea being one of them.
Having a good skincare routine helps reduce flare-ups and restores the healthy functions of your skin barrier
Using the ZO Skin Normalizing System daily dramatically reduces the symptoms of rosacea, but it is a lifelong commitment. It works by normalizing the visible symptoms that are associated with Rosacea.
The programme includes:
- Gentle Foaming Cleanser
- This a mild cleanser and is perfect for the most sensitive of skins. It contains antioxidants and anti-irritant properties that help protect the skin from harmful effects of free radicals.
- Exfoliating Polish
- Ideal for all skin types. Exfoliates dead skin cells and promote clear, smooth and even toned complexion. Promotes healthy circulation and cell turnover without being harsh on your skin.
- Oil Control Pads
- These amazing pads remove oil, help minimize the appearance of pores and its cooling agent smooths any skin irritation.
- Daily Power Defence
- This is their HERO and bestselling product and for good reason. It is formulated with retinol, enzymes and antioxidants to help repair damaged skin cells and also protects against future damage.
Rozatrol, this is your lifesaver.
It is the perfect treatment for reducing the visible symptoms and multiple signs of rosacea. It helps minimise the appearance of redness, increase cellular renewal, reduce excess oil, diminish vascular degeneration and treat neuro-ageing.
Clients noticed a considerable difference within just 6 weeks of using Rozatrol. 82% saw a visible reduction in the appearance of inflamed skin, 73% reported that regular use improved their skin condition and the appearance of redness.
Rozatrol normalises the skin by reducing excess oil which can lead to inflammation. Helps replenish hydration, skin tone and texture. Inflammatory modulation complex helps reverse the appearance of existing skin redness and prevents future UV induced inflammation and redness. Encourages microcirculation to encourage healthy vascular functions and fight against neuro-ageing.
It is also recommended that you follow with a good SPF, such as Heliocare 360 or ZO Skin Health Protection Suncare.
As ZO Skin Health products are medical grade products, they are only available through accredited and fully trained practitioner.
At Eterno Aesthetics we offer the full range of ZO Skin Health and offer a thorough consultation and skin analysis to discuss all your skin needs and which ZO Skin Health would complement your skin conditions.
Do more for your skin
Welcome to our exciting blog that’s all about sharing with you the best of what we do. From the latest stories on what’s new.
Hannah has spent the past few years training to an advanced level with some of the industry’s leading aesthetic nurses, doctors and cosmetic surgeons and now provides a high-quality service providing non-surgical cosmetic treatments to her clients.